Definition of salut
1. salute [ v ] greet in a friendly way
Examples: "I meet this men every day on my way to work and he salutes me"
(Louis Zara, Dark Rider....)
A fresh breeze saluted him .Synonyms salute Related Terms greet salaam greeter
2. salute [ v ] express commendation of
Examples: "I salute your courage!"
(Perry Miller "Theodore Parker: Apostasy within Liberalism"...)
So we are the more prepared to give Parker the credit for having taken the right side in an unnecessary controversy , to salute his courage , and to pass_on , happily forgetting both him and the entire episode .Synonyms salute Related Terms praise
3. salute [ v ] propose a toast to
Examples: "Let us toast the birthday girl!" "Let's drink to the New Year"
(The New York Times,...)
Palmer , golf 's leading money winner in 1960 , and Snead will be saluted as the winning team in the Canada_Cup matches last June in Dublin .Synonyms drink toast salute wassail pledge Related Terms honor give pledge drink
4. salute [ v ] become noticeable
Examples: "a terrible stench saluted our nostrils"
5. salute [ n ] a formal military gesture of respectSynonyms military_greeting salute Related Terms greeting military
6. salute [ v ] recognize with a gesture prescribed by a miltary regulation; assume a prescribed position
Examples: "When the officers show up, the soldiers have to salute"
7. salute [ v ] honor with a military ceremony, as when honoring dead soldiersSynonyms salute Related Terms greet
8. salute [ n ] an act of honor or courteous recognition
Examples: : "a musical salute to the composer on his birthday"
9. salute [ n ] an act of greeting with friendly words and gestures like bowing or lifting the hatSynonyms salute Related Terms greeting
|Definition of salutary|
|Definition of salutation|
|Definition of salutatorian|
|Definition of salutatory_speaker|
|Definition of salute|
|Definition of saluter|
|Definition of Salva|
|Definition of Salvador|
|Definition of salvadora|