1. [ noun ] the marks used to clarify meaning by indicating separation of words into sentences and clauses and phrases
Synonyms: punctuation_mark
Related terms: mark period parenthesis colon apostrophe angle_bracket semicolon comma exclamation_mark hyphen brace question_mark quotation_mark bracket ampersand solidus swung_dash orthography
2. [ noun ] something that makes repeated and regular interruptions or divisions
Related terms: interruption
3. [ noun ] (linguistics) the use of certain marks to clarify meaning of written material by grouping words grammatically into sentences and clauses and phrases
Related terms: grouping hyphenation orthography
Similar spelling:   punctuate