Definition of penh
1. pen [ n ] a writing implement with a point from which ink flowsUsed in print:
(Clayton C. Barbeau, The Ikon....)
He took the pen in his stumps and began to write .
(Guy Endore, Voltaire! Voltaire!...)
Could he have pen and paper , please ?
(Frieda Arkin, "The Light of the Sea," in The...)
Once her trembling hand , with the pen grasped tight in it , was pressed against the paper the words came sharply , smoothly , as authoritatively as they would dropping from her own lips .
`` Please come_down as_soon_as you conveniently can '' , the upright letters stalked from the broad nibbed pen , `` I have an important matter to discuss with you '' .
In the stiff neutral lines of the telephone_poles he saw the no-nonsense pen strokes of Aunt_Jessica 's letter .Synonyms pen Related Terms writing_implement quill ballpoint fountain_pen Magic_Marker felt-tip_pen point pen_nib write
2. pen [ v ] produce a literary work
Examples: "She composed a poem" "He wrote four novels"
(The Christian Science Monitor,...)
His letter to his daughter on the pains of growing_up is surely as trenchant , forthright , and warmly understanding a_piece of advice as ever a grown-up penned to a sensitive child , and with just the right tone of unpatronizing good_humor .
(The Wall Street Journal,...)
A veteran diplomat with an extraordinary knowledge of Russian language , history and literature , Kennan recalls how , at_the_time of Hitler 's attack on the Soviet_Union in 1941 , he penned a private note to a State_Department official , expressing the hope that `` never would we associate ourselves with Russian purposes in the areas of eastern Europe beyond her own boundaries '' .
(Richard B. Morris, "Seven Who Set Our Destiny"...)
In his political testament , `` Advice to My Country '' , penned just before his death , Madison expressed the wish `` that the Union of the States be cherished and perpetuated .Synonyms write compose pen indite Related Terms create_verbally write_on draft adapt reference write_out draw dramatize write_off author profile lyric script dash_off write_copy annotate versify paragraph paragraph write_out publish writing spell
3. pen [ n ] an enclosure for confining livestockSynonyms pen Related Terms enclosure cow_pen rodeo kraal fold pinfold paddock sty creep
4. pen [ n ] a portable enclosure in which babies may be left to playSynonyms pen playpen Related Terms enclosure
5. pen [ n ] a correctional institution for those convicted of major crimesSynonyms pen penitentiary Related Terms correctional_institution
6. Pen [ n ] Last name, frequency rank in the U.S. is 25244Synonyms Pen
7. pen [ n ] female swanSynonyms pen Related Terms swan
Rhymes withpenn pen bullpen playpen
|Definition of pemmican|
|Definition of Pempheridae|
|Definition of pemphigous|
|Definition of pemphigus|
|Definition of pen|
|Definition of pen_name|
|Definition of pen_nib|
|Definition of pen_pal|
|Definition of pen_up|