Definition of eco
1. echo [ n ] the persistence of a sound after its source has stoppedUsed in print:
(The New York Times,...)
`` Nae , man '' , said Willie , `` ye must be countin ' the echoes '' .
(Louis Zara, Dark Rider....)
a dull boom and a throbbing echo .
he shouted , and was aghast at the echoes .Synonyms echo reverberation replication sound_reflection Related Terms reflection re-echo resound
2. echo [ v ] to say again or imitate
Examples: : "followers echoing the cries of their leaders."
(Guy Bolton, The Olympians....)
`` A public of one '' , Mary echoed reprovingly .
(John Hazard Wildman, "Take It Off," The Arizona...)
`` Just you wait '' , advised Arlene , echoing the dialogue in a recent British movie .Synonyms repeat echo Related Terms utter recite parrot regurgitate reecho cuckoo
3. echo [ v ] ring or echo with sound
Examples: "the hall resounded with laughter"
(Ralph J. Salisbury, "On the Old Santa Fe Trail...)
How lightly her `` eventshah-leh '' passed_into_the_crannies where I was storing dialect material for some vaguely dreamed opus , and how the word would echo .Synonyms ring echo reverberate resound Related Terms go reecho bong consonate reecho plangency
4. echo [ v ] call to mind
Examples: : "His words echoed John F. Kennedy"
5. echo [ n ] (Greek mythology) a nymph who was spurned by Narcissus and pined away until only her voice remainedSynonyms echo Related Terms nymph Greek_mythology
6. Echo [ n ] Woman's first name, popularity rank in the U.S. is 2995Synonyms Echo
7. echo [ n ] a reply that repeats what has just been saidSynonyms echo Related Terms reply echolalia repeat
Rhymes withecho gecko greco zydeco
|Definition of echinus|
|Definition of Echinus_esculentus|
|Definition of Echium|
|Definition of Echium_vulgare|
|Definition of echo|
|Definition of echo_sounder|
|Definition of echo_sounding|
|Definition of echocardiogram|
|Definition of echocardiograph|