Definition of coopt
1. co-opt [ v ] choose or elect as a fellow member or colleague
Examples: "The church members co-opted individuals from similar backgrounds to replenish the congregation"
(Gibson Winter, The Suburban Captivity of the...)
The task of a congregation would be defined , according to economic integration , as the work of co-opting individuals and families of similar social and economic position to replenish the nuclear core of the congregation .Synonyms co-opt Related Terms elect co-option
2. co-opt [ v ] appoint summarily or commandeer
Examples: "The army tried to co-opt peasants into civil defence groups"
3. co-opt [ v ] take or assume for one's own use
Examples: "He co-opted the criticism and embraced it"
4. co-opt [ v ] neutralize or win over through assimilation into an established group
Examples: "We co-opted the independent minority tribes by pulling them into the Northern Alliance"
5. co-opt [ v ] place onto a board or committeeSynonyms co-opt Related Terms appoint
|Definition of co-occur_with|
|Definition of co-occurrence|
|Definition of co-op|
|Definition of co-operative_republic_of_guyana|
|Definition of co-opt|
|Definition of co-optation|
|Definition of co-option|
|Definition of co-ordinate|
|Definition of co-respondent|